DIY Corporate Credit Series: 4 Steps to Claiming Your Company Name for Establishing Corporate Credit – Part 2
2. Claiming Your Company Name: Search Trademark Database
Make sure the business name you’ve chosen isn’t in the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) database. If the exact name of your company has been trademarked, this may become a major issue as you attempt to use the name to build your business brand.
DEAD trademarks are irrelevant. It’s the LIVE trademarks you need to worry about as you’re establishing business credit.
3. Claiming Your Company Name: Domain Name URL
It’s very important that you register your business name as a domain name as soon as possible. You can have more than one URL for your business, and you can set any one you own as the primary domain name. But, when establishing business credit, it’s important to have a URL that actually represents your company’s name.
4. Claiming Your Company Name: Superpages Directory Listings
Make sure to register your company with the Superpages Business Directory. You can add your business for free, and it only takes a few minutes. Click the link below to search for your business online. If it is already listed, check it thoroughly to ensure that all of the information is accurate and current.
Resolve Name Conflicts While Claiming Your Company Name
If you find conflicts while claiming your company name within any of the databases above, consider these three options:
- Change your business name. If it’s a brand new start-up (or the business hasn’t been established yet), this may be the best option for you.
- Use a different variation of the name. For example, “Entre Marketing Group” could be established as EntreMarketing Group.
- Create a DBA (Doing Business As) for the business name you like so much. For example, your company’s name might be “EntreMarketing Group” with a DBA of “The Entre Marketing Group.” So, even though your business operates under the latter, the first name will be the legal name used for establishing business credit.
Ready to get your start-up off the ground? The EntreMarketing Group will help you get the word out about your new start-up business.
Make your new small business go viral with a customized small business marketing package from The EntreMarketing Group today.