DIY Corporate Credit Series: How to Apply for Your EIN
Building Corporate Credit Using Your Business Credit Identity
Building corporate credit the right way involves never merging it with your personal credit profile in any way. That means using a Federal Employer Identification Number, also known as an EIN or Tax ID Number, instead of your social security number to apply for business credit. In this part of our DIY Corporate Credit Series, we walk you through how to apply for your EIN.
What is an EIN? It’s essentially a social security number for your business, company, corporation, organization, etc… When applying for business credit, it’s always wiser to use an EIN instead of your social security number. It ensures that your corporate credit and personal credit profiles remain completely separate from each other.
3 Options to Apply for Your EIN to Obtain Business Credit
All Federal Employer Identification Numbers must be obtained from IRS, even if you hire an agency to help. In most cases, you can apply for your EIN on your own, and obtain it the very same day. Here are the general options for getting a new EIN from the IRS without the help of a 3rd party:
- Obtain EIN by Fax – Download the IRS Form SS-4. Print it out, complete it and fax it to the IRS for processing: 859-669-5987 (See form to verify current fax number.)
- Obtain EIN by Mail – Download the IRS Form SS-4. Print it out, complete it and mail it to the IRS for processing using the address on the form.
- Apply for EIN Online – Click here to apply for your EIN online. In most cases, you can receive your new Tax ID Number in a matter of minutes.
Need other options or assistance related to a new, old, misplaced or unneeded Tax ID Number?
- Form 8882 for Change of Address
- Lost or Misplaced EIN
- Cancel Your EIN
- General Information Regarding Tax ID Numbers
No matter what phase your small business is in these days, you still need online marketing to get the word out about your products and services. The EntreMarketing Group helps new startups go viral online with responsive websites, content marketing and social media marketing tools. Contact The EntreMarketing Group for a free small business marketing consultation today.